Character, as we usually think of it, is a temporary
collection of personality traits which we develop
during our time on earth. This is the character we
build with each choice in our lives, and it reflects
our deepest values through our actions.
At the spiritual level, we have a much broader
character that can also grow; and, unlike the character
of human personality, it can continue to grow stronger
eternally. It is by handling the challenges of life in
ways that make character strong, that we also grow
Why build a strong character, and how can we do that?
A strong character in daily life is a positive
influence upon others. However, our character also
influences our own lives, often unseen, moment by
moment, for our inner state determines our actions,
attitudes, and ultimate growth.
Emerson once wrote, “The force of character is
cumulative.” He was referring not only to the
influence of character upon others, but of the
expansion created in one’s own spirit–in that
“state of the heart” that E. M. Bounds mentioned in
Here are a ten ways that will help to build a strong
1. Practice patience when those around you are hurried.
2. Act with faith and diligence when others show
mistrust or lack of commitment.
3. Be gentle when you meet with cruelty and harsh
4. Be courteous, even when others do not show courtesy.
5. Give generously to those who have nothing to give.
6. Communicate peace to those who are saddened or
7. Express gratitude for every experience and person
you have known.
8. Act with self-control when dealing with those who
are out of control.
9. Be encouraging to those who are discouraged.
10. Act with self-discipline, even when it is difficult
to take correct actions.
All life experiences invite us to grow in spirit. In
each circumstance, God’s will is working to teach us
about the ultimate state of love from which he created
us to be unique individuals. May you experience the
peace and love in His gift of a strong and lasting
Wishing you blessings and success! 🙂